Just a little over an hour outside Johannesburg lies the Cradle of Humankind, one of the world's richest depositories of hominid fossils, which provides some clues about human origin and our early ancestors.
The prize includes return tickets for two people to Johannesburg, a tour of Johannesburg and surrounding areas, a two night-stay at the Cradle Boutique Hotel, a visit to the Maropeng Visitor Centre for an interactive exhibition about the evolution of humankind and a guided tour into the Sterkfontein Caves. The winner will also get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to experience a day in the life of a paleoanthropologist by going on a real-life dig with Christine Steininger, the Project Director of Cooper’s Cave near Maropeng. (View the suggested prize itinerary)
Watch the video by Paleoanthropologist and National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence, Professor Lee Berger below and answer a simple question to stand in line to win.
International return flights from London to Johannesburg
Two nights in Johannesburg
Two nights near the Cradle of Humankind
One night safari
Details of the prize:
The Promoter: South African Tourism, 2nd Floor, 1-2 Castle Lane, London, SW1E6DR, United Kingdom
Potential Winner: An entrant selected to win the prize but who has not received an email entitled ‘Receipt of Participation Agreement Form’ from The Promoter.
Confirmed Winner: An entrant who has received an email entitled ‘Receipt of Prize Claim Form’ from The Promoter.
Travel Companion: The guest who the confirmed winner chooses to give the second ticket.
Eligibility to enter / opening and closing dates
1. This promotion is open to residents of the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) only. Employees of The Promoter, their families, agencies, or anyone else professionally connected with this promotion are not eligible to enter.
2. Entrants must be aged 18 or over and have access to the internet and an active regularly monitored email account. The Confirmed Winners’ Travel Companion must be aged 18 or over.
3. Promotion opens 01:00 on 17 May 2017 until midnight 07 June 2017. Any entry received after the closing date will not be valid.
4. A maximum of 1 entry is permitted per person across the entire promotional period.
5. No purchase is necessary to enter this promotion.
6. The Promoter reserves the right to request the winner provide proof of identity and proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address. Identification considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse to allow a winner to take part in any or all aspects of the prize, if it is determined that a winner is not in the mental or physical condition necessary to be able to safely participate in the prize.
How to enter
7. To enter this promotion, visit the South African Tourism’s website on www.uk.southafrica.net, read the content and watch the video, answer a simple question and enter your details for a chance to win.
8. By entering this promotion, entrants will be deemed to have accepted, and will be bound by, these terms and conditions.
Selecting the Winner(s)
9. One Potential Winner will be selected by a random independent draw on 14 June 2017 from all valid entries received in accordance with these terms and conditions.
10. One Potential Winner will be drawn for each day of the promotional period.
11. Each prize consists of two return economy class flights from London Heathrow to Johannesburg only, two nights in Johannesburg, two nights at the Cradle Boutique Hotel in the heart of the Cradle of Humankind and one night safari.
12. It is at the discretion of the Winner to decide who they wish to take the second ticket (travel partner). If the Winner’s travel partner is under 18 years of age then the Winner must be their travel partner’s parent/legal guardian.
13. Tickets will be issued in the Confirmed Winner’s name and their one (1) nominated travel partner only.
14. The Prize/Tickets are for the Economy cabin only.
15. The Prize is strictly subject to availability in G Class and fare rules will apply.
16. The Prize is valid for travel between 1 July 2017 and 31 March 2018 subject to availability. Please note, that the Prize is not redeemable over the period of 14th December 2017 to 24th December 2017 inclusive. Travel over other peak dates such as Half Term, Easter and Summer Holidays are also unlikely to be available.
17. The tickets may not be exchanged for any other goods, services, cash or other financial gain nor sold or used by anyone other than the Prize Winner and their one (1) chosen travel companion.
18. The Winner and their travel companion are responsible for ensuring that, prior to travel, they hold adequate travel insurance and all other necessary documentation for travel (e.g. visas).
Notification and delivery of the Prize
19. The Potential Winners will be notified on 14 June 2017 by an email sent by the Promoter to the email address provided on entry to this promotion. The email will also include a Participation Agreement Form.
20. The Promoter will make reasonable efforts to contact the Potential Winner. However, if a Potential Winner has not responded to notification and returned the Agreement Form by 23:59 GMT on 21 June 2017, the Promoter’s email is returned undelivered, or if a selected Potential Winner is ineligible, otherwise in breach of these terms and conditions, or unable to take up the Prize for any other reason, the Promoter reserves the right to select an alternative Potential Winner using the same process referred to above in these terms and conditions.
21. A Potential Winner will only be declared a Confirmed Winner once they meet all the requirements of The Promoter. These include but are not limited to the Potential Winner:
Once an entrant has been declared a Confirmed Winner, the entrant’s social profile photo and name may be used by The Promoter’s social media sites and any other media deemed suitable for announcement. In the event that a Confirmed Winner is not identified according to these Terms and Conditions then no announcement will be made.
22. Once the entrant has been declared a Confirmed Winner, The Promoter will contact the Confirmed Winner via the email address and mobile number submitted on the Agreement form in order to fulfill the prize. The Promoter will contact the Confirmed Winner within 28 days of receiving the Agreement Form.
23. The Winner and their travel companion are responsible for all expenses not expressly stated in these terms and conditions as being included as part of the Prize.
24. To the extent permitted by law, the Promoter accepts no liability for any damage, loss or injury suffered due to entering this promotion or taking up a Prize.
25. Incomplete, illegible, corrupted entries, or those which are otherwise not in accordance with these terms and conditions will not be valid. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for failure to receive an entry where such failure is due to circumstances outside the Promoter’s control.
26. The Promoter reserves the right to verify all entries and winners and to refuse to award a prize or withdraw prize entitlement and/or refuse further participation in the promotion and disqualify the participant where there are reasonable grounds to believe there has been a breach of these terms and conditions or any instructions forming part of this promotions entry requirements or otherwise where a participant has gained unfair advantage in participating in the promotion or won using fraudulent means.
27. Potential winners are subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Terms and Conditions and could still post qualification be disqualified as the Promoter reserves the right to verify all Potential Winners and Travel Companions they will meet necessary standards and not cause the brand embarrassment by the individual or their Travel Companion. Part of this process may include questions during the claim process and a review of personal information sourced from data available in the public domain.
28. In the event of circumstances outside the reasonable control of the Promoter, or otherwise where fraud, abuse, and/or an error (human or computer) affects or could affect the proper operation of this promotion or the awarding of prizes, and only where circumstances make this unavoidable, the Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the promotion or these terms and conditions, at any stage, but will always endeavour to minimize the effect to participants in order to avoid undue disappointment.
30. The Promoter and its agents will only use personal information supplied by entrants to this promotion for the purposes of administering this promotion, unless consent is received to use such information for any other purpose.
31. Entrants will retain ownership of any content, submissions and other material they submit as part of this Promotion. However, entrants grant the promoter (and its agents and affiliates) a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual license to use any such content, submissions and other material for the purposes of this promotion.
32. The full name of the Winners and counties will be made available on request to those writing to South African Tourism, 1-2 Castle Lane, 2nd Floor, London, SW1E 6DR after 30 June 2017.
33. Winners may be required to take part in publicity relating to this promotion.
34. The Promoter’s decision is binding in all matters relating to this promotion.
35. These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales. The local courts will have exclusive jurisdiction over any and all disputes arising out of, relating to or concerning these Terms.
36. Promoter: South African Tourism, 2nd Floor, 1-2 Castle Lane, London, SW1E 6DR, United Kingdom.